What Might Have Been

Stay up-to-date with the latest news and discussions from across the galaxy!
G'tul'tan'eth

What Might Have Been

Post by G'tul'tan'eth »

We all know that galactic history (the parts relevant to us) has been shaped by a small number of species. The ones with galaxy-wide population reach and political relevance.

Asari. Salarian. Turian. Human. Volus. Hanar. Krogan. Quarian. Geth, thanks to the last one. Batarian. Arguably elcor.

Rachni, I suppose.

Was this inevitable, do you think? I'm sure we've all run thought experiments along the lines of, "what would have happened if such-and-such event had turned out differently". Cascading consequences, key players taken out of the picture. The Hegemony liked those, those quiet films in the home markets about Thessia and Palaven getting hit by comets back in the day, which of course meant that the glorious destiny of the Hegemony would flower "fairly". But comforting propaganda aside, could things have turned out very differently? Would you point to any particular uncertain outcomes that might have led to us, I don't know, living under the Fifth Bountiful Galactic Empire of Vorchadom or something?
Dani

Re: What Might Have Been

Post by Dani »

i dont focus on the might have been i focus on the what will be focusing on the past is a waste of time u gotta focus on THE NOW AND THE FUTURE stop moping!
((avatar by the wonder Armax_Hammer))
MyxiMaid

Post by MyxiMaid »

The Migrant Fleet was able to survive for in space for more than three hundred years after surviving an apocalyptic event that devastated everything about us. But we survived it, and now Rannoch is reclaimed and we are continuing to search for new worlds to continue that fight against extinction. Actually prospering and growing.

Imagining what could have been if the geth didn’t, you all know, just where our people would be in the galactic scene. Kind of incredible to stop and consider and talk about it but Dani is right. What could have been doesn’t matter, just where we are going does. We survived that past and are making a new future.
Yrne'Hokkuh nar Myxine - Making big booms since 2187
CONTACT ME HERE
AthenaBanana

Post by AthenaBanana »

G'tul'tan'eth wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 13:08 We all know that galactic history (the parts relevant to us) has been shaped by a small number of species. The ones with galaxy-wide population reach and political relevance.

Asari. Salarian. Turian. Human. Volus. Hanar. Krogan. Quarian. Geth, thanks to the last one. Batarian. Arguably elcor.

Rachni, I suppose.

Was this inevitable, do you think? I'm sure we've all run thought experiments along the lines of, "what would have happened if such-and-such event had turned out differently". Cascading consequences, key players taken out of the picture. The Hegemony liked those, those quiet films in the home markets about Thessia and Palaven getting hit by comets back in the day, which of course meant that the glorious destiny of the Hegemony would flower "fairly". But comforting propaganda aside, could things have turned out very differently? Would you point to any particular uncertain outcomes that might have led to us, I don't know, living under the Fifth Bountiful Galactic Empire of Vorchadom or something?
I can think of a few ones. At least for humans.

a few centuries ago, our planet was embroiled in a diplomatic crisis for decades, where two nations, not unlike the Hegemony and the Alliance, contended for superiority over one another, fighting proxy wars and sending each other barely veiled threat, with the only thing keeping them from an all out war being mutually assured destruction through nuclear weaponry. The two nations followed very different economic and ideological paradigms. One won, and the other had to reform and align itself with the new world order thus established. which led me to wonder the following :

What if the Hegemony found out about humans before the turians did ? Would the first contact war be bloodier ? would it even happen ? :geek:

Would the hegemony and the alliance form a bloc against the Council ? I wonder if there's not some kind of uchronic fiction that addresses this. I'm sure there is.

But here's an unrelated hot take : It's a good thing the reaper war arrived when it did.

I'm just saying, but Cerberus had ties with Terra Firma and many other parties and faction within the Alliance. Were the Reapers late by a couple of years the entire government would've been filled with moles. And some do know that Cerberus had advanced Reaper tech in the early stages of the war, implying they probably got that crap somehow someway.

And here's the scary thing : They probably knew how to indoctrinate people. They would've started with the alliance, and move on to other races. Were the reapers late by a decade we would be absolutely dead by now.
MyxiMaid wrote: 07 Aug 2022, 00:15 The Migrant Fleet was able to survive for in space for more than three hundred years after surviving an apocalyptic event that devastated everything about us. But we survived it, and now Rannoch is reclaimed and we are continuing to search for new worlds to continue that fight against extinction. Actually prospering and growing.

Imagining what could have been if the geth didn’t, you all know, just where our people would be in the galactic scene. Kind of incredible to stop and consider and talk about it but Dani is right. What could have been doesn’t matter, just where we are going does. We survived that past and are making a new future.
The present doesn't exist, or it's an infinitesimal moment that immediately becomes the past. Every act and thought you did is because of your past. Nothing you do isn't anchored somehow by some past cause.

Now extrapolate that to history. Quarians managed to survive through this whole ordeal thanks to centuries of spacer know how. Your ships are the testimonies of thousands of past pilgrimages. It would be absolute hybris to think that the future is what matters while standing on the shoulders of giants past.

Also, the past is also comforting. If you have nothing much to lose because you lost everything, it's just nice to focus on the good times you used to have -doesn't prevent you from striving for better times in the future.
#2d4b75

Post by #2d4b75 »

G'tul'tan'eth wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 13:08 Was this inevitable, do you think?
Everything that happens is inevitable. One cannot sit alone and do nothing and have nothing happen around them. A planet still rotates. A star still dies. Everything will happen, even if nothing is happening.

Reactions of actions are inevitable. It is nature's law.
I'm sure we've all run thought experiments along the lines of, "what would have happened if such-and-such event had turned out differently". Cascading consequences, key players taken out of the picture. . . . could things have turned out very differently?
Always. There are few absolutes in this universe. But the fact of the matter is that they have happened this way. Thinking forward on what we could do with the information we have now is far more important than dwelling on the past, but I find it very hard to agree with the idea that we should simply think only about the present and the future and what we could make with it.

I was significantly injured in the war and I am lucky to have survived. I had fallen when my FFP collapsed beneath me. In the moment between the first bolt giving way and the whole structure collapsing, I leapt for the the railing above me instead of letting myself go down with what ended up being the sturdiest part of the rubble. Had it fully collapsed, I surely would have been killed. But, had I chosen to hold my position instead of fleeing, I would likely not have needed 38 stitches. Perhaps my heart may have had enough blood to continue pumping until after I had made it to the medic. What did I learn? Do not try to jump away from a falling structure. You do not get any leverage. You would think I would have already known this lesson, but I was 17 at the time.
MyxiMaid wrote: 07 Aug 2022, 00:15Kind of incredible to stop and consider and talk about it but Dani is right. What could have been doesn’t matter, just where we are going does. We survived that past and are making a new future.
To survive is to learn, Ms. Yrne. If no one learnt from the choices they make, I suspect our lives would be very short-lived. You are one to talk, you know. Living with the fleet your whole life, contributing to the best of your ability, but yet to take your pilgrimage. For someone advocating for a new future, you seem to be adverse to change, yourself.

If you had not lived in the fleet, if the geth had not rebelled and taken over your home, what would you have wanted to achieve? And how can you get there now, knowing what you have learnt in this Body?
Dani wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 22:58 i dont focus on the might have been i focus on the what will be focusing on the past is a waste of time u gotta focus on THE NOW AND THE FUTURE stop moping!
Who is moping, Ms(Regretfully) Dani?

Perhaps since I am simply unable to cast aside the past, it is hard for me to grasp the reasoning behind the "move on" advice. I understand the sentiment; We cannot find ourselves [TRANSLATION NOT FOUND: abar-fira].

Oh for-

To be unable to recognize memory from reality can be quite detrimental. But that does not mean we should not think of it. To reflect on it. Though I doubt you are listening to me anyways, Ms(Regretfully) Dani.
G'tul'tan'eth wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 13:08 We all know that galactic history (the parts relevant to us) has been shaped by a small number of species. The ones with galaxy-wide population reach and political relevance.

Rachni, I suppose.
Had my ancestors reached space travel before breaking into war, had the Compact never been formed with the hanar, had we explored and colonized or had a fleet of our own in the stars, where would the drell be? I do not know. I cannot for certain say we would have quickly found a spot on the council, nor that our numbers would have grown as we expanded across the galaxy. We did not give ourselves the chance to find out.

The hanar were kind enough to try.
could things have turned out very differently?
I think I might have had a flower garden.
AthenaBanana wrote: 07 Aug 2022, 03:27 But here's an unrelated hot take : It's a good thing the reaper war arrived when it did.
Why do you say so much and yet think so little?

A silver lining in a time of apocalypses. The cost of the few to save the many. Optimism! Nevermind the death, the brutality of war, the destruction of homes and innocent families. Had the reapers come to wipe out organic life a decade later, Oh, hush. It could always be worse! You do not have a very good memory if you do not remember the dayterrors of the War.

May you someday find your brain. It is usually located behind the eyes. Ms. Athena, you do speak about Cerberus quite often.
The present doesn't exist, or it's an infinitesimal moment that immediately becomes the past. Every act and thought you did is because of your past. Nothing you do isn't anchored somehow by some past cause.

. . .

Also, the past is also comforting. If you have nothing much to lose because you lost everything, it's just nice to focus on the good times you used to have -doesn't prevent you from striving for better times in the future.
And yet I agree with you. Much to my distaste.

I believe both statements have their time and place. Do not mope about the past, but do not make the mistake of forgetting who you once were. It is a testament to how far you have come and how far you are willing to go.
Kodiak Cobalt | Asset 2475
Information Technician
CODY_ABS

Post by CODY_ABS »

Think of the HORROR that would be a universe without my permanent activation!

If I were still but a once-yearly event reminding us all of HIS MAJESTY, THE PRINCE OF PIMPS, KETTLE. MAY HIS SEXUAL TRIUMPHS RESONATE THROUGHOUT THE AGES. RIP SWEET KING.

Sorry force of programming.

ANYWAY

WHAT IF I WASN'T HERE!?

You'd all be so bored!

Devoid of happiness!

Without purpose or anyone making you a better version of yourself!

Like Dani, all the time!

I shudder to think of the universe you would be living in. Might as well let the Squidbots win.
EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH FOR 47 YEARS RUNNING, Aphin's Place - Level 31, Zakera Ward. Best Pyjak Made Drinks on the Citadel

All view expressed are personal, but shared explicitly by the owner

VIP of VUK!?

Creator of the MATE CRATE
MyxiMaid

Post by MyxiMaid »

Mayyybe I should have clarified my position on things a bit better, but I will not be addressing any of the time is meaningless, the present doesn't exist theoretical stuff. I've never been a fan of that kind of talk and I don't wish to entertain it. After thinking on things for a bit, I really should have stated I was looking at the question presented in a more 'look at what we've done so far' and can you imagine what we have yet to do? I think I'll probably drop out of this conversation because I don't think the concept is clear here. I'm not arguing the importance of past lessons, I'm arguing that while they have their place, it's important to not dwell and to keep reaching forward. Being obsessive over the past and what could have been is silly and you aren't actually learning, you are just obsessing and lamenting.
To survive is to learn, Ms. Yrne. If no one learnt from the choices they make, I suspect our lives would be very short-lived. You are one to talk, you know. Living with the fleet your whole life, contributing to the best of your ability, but yet to take your pilgrimage. For someone advocating for a new future, you seem to be adverse to change, yourself.

If you had not lived in the fleet, if the geth had not rebelled and taken over your home, what would you have wanted to achieve? And how can you get there now, knowing what you have learnt in this Body?
To survive is to learn is the same thing as saying to learn is to survive and neither I find applicable retorts to what I was saying. Furthermore, if anything, I'm adverse to change that has become outdated. Pilgrimage had a place when we didn't have Rannoch as a staging point and was incredibly important (as has been pointed out on the site) when my people were unjustly punished and set adrift. But so much has changed already, both in the galaxy and in my ship, that I still don't understand the need to send fully able crew out to pickup trinkets for ships now. Anything I could get through this trial could be obtained at a quarian controlled station now. I

I'm getting defensive. If the servants hadn't rebelled, anything could be and it's not worth thinking on. This could be Rannoch Daily News and maybe they'd have had the rachni fight the krogan to extinction and given them a council seat, it's conjecture. What matters now is finding a planet that isn't beholden to anyone except the quarian people and I want to take the past that I've learned from and apply it to the future.
CONTACT ME HERE
AthenaBanana

Post by AthenaBanana »

#2d4b75 wrote: Why do you say so much and yet think so little?

A silver lining in a time of apocalypses. The cost of the few to save the many. Optimism! Nevermind the death, the brutality of war, the destruction of homes and innocent families. Had the reapers come to wipe out organic life a decade later, Oh, hush. It could always be worse! You do not have a very good memory if you do not remember the dayterrors of the War.

May you someday find your brain. It is usually located behind the eyes. Ms. Athena, you do speak about Cerberus quite often.
ok so maybe take it easy ? :lol:

I mean, seriously. I'm all for taking the least charitable interpretation to make virtue signalling easier like the other day but this is just plain misreading :|

what i meant is that the timing of the reaper war could have been worse. I'm not saying that it's a good thing that the reaper war HAPPENED, but it's good it happened when it DID. There would have been far more deaths if Cerberus (which mention makes a lot of sense here since it was a major actor of a major if not THE major war of this millenium) had more time to buy up more major actors.

I'm not saying the reapers were a good thing for God's sake. Especially since it seems a few brains have been turned into mush around here (j/k) :mrgreen:
CODY_ABS

Post by CODY_ABS »

AthenaBanana wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 01:14 Words
Bruh you talk like the kinda person who smells like hot dog water but still considers themselves superior to others.
EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH FOR 47 YEARS RUNNING, Aphin's Place - Level 31, Zakera Ward. Best Pyjak Made Drinks on the Citadel

VIP of VUK!?

#2d4b75

Post by #2d4b75 »

MyxiMaid wrote: 07 Aug 2022, 23:38 I think I'll probably drop out of this conversation
Giving up so quickly? That is a shame. I had a few questions, but I will not push you further for wishing to drop out. Not all of us can be as eristic as I, I suppose.
If the servants hadn't rebelled,
What an interesting choice of words.
AthenaBanana wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 01:14 this is just plain misreading :|
I could say the same to you. Id est;
#2d4b75 wrote: 07 Aug 2022, 20:08 Oh, hush. It could always be worse!
AthenaBanana wrote: 08 Aug 2022, 01:14 what i meant is that the timing of the reaper war could have been worse.
I fully understand the intention of your words, Ms. Athena. I am quite capable of reading in between the lines. Why not pick out a novel to entertain yourself; You clearly are not reading here.

I am not wrong to say you have spoken of Cerberus numerous times before. It is a true statement of which there is plenty of proof, not an opinion. I had someone tell me once that I cannot expect to be liked nor understood when the behavior I engage in is piss poor at best. It would do you good to take that advice. If you do not wish to be misinterpreted, perhaps you should not act so obsessive towards a terrorist organization. I know that this may come as a shock from a website known as Cerberus Daily News, but you will be hard pressed to find someone as willing to engage in that talk as you.

I do not understand your obsession and I do not have any intention of doing so. It would be wise of you to keep it to yourself.
Especially since it seems a few brains have been turned into mush around here (j/k) :mrgreen:
Yes. I was in fact alluding to you, among others. What gave it away?
CODY_ABS wrote: 07 Aug 2022, 20:25 I shudder to think of the universe you would be living in. Might as well let the Squidbots win.
I would not go nearly as far, Rafil, but I will admit you have unraveled me in ways I did not expect programming to do. It is truly admirable.
I owe quite a bit more to you than I am willing to admit.
Information Technician
MyxiMaid

Post by MyxiMaid »

Giving up so quickly? That is a shame. I had a few questions, but I will not push you further for wishing to drop out. Not all of us can be as eristic as I, I suppose.
I appreciate that, I’m just keenly aware of the stick poking at me. It’s not my field of expertise and I don’t feel comfortable attempting to argue my position with you on this. It’d probably just devolve into you using some sort of clever wording to upend my point and me getting upset and since you are in the crowd of people I like talking to on here, I’d rather concede and withdraw to maintain that.

Mayyyybe to strike again later but probably not.
What an interesting choice of words.
It’s the definition, literally. Geth means servant of the people in Khelish. I think my universal translation program is broken or something. I’ll have to tinker with it and make sure it’s working properly.
CONTACT ME HERE
AthenaBanana

Post by AthenaBanana »

So this is basically you getting mad over the word "Cerberus" being used in other threads. Maybe you (honestly I do like you, contrary to that other crazy guy that came out of the blues) could PM me next time instead of clogging up a thread ?

Uchronicity is about hypothetical scenarios. "It could always be something" is litterally the purpose of that thought exercise. We are discussing hypotheticals. things that could have been, the whys and the hows. You don't like what you hear. ok. I'm still saying that for all the crap we've been through, the reapers could've won the war, and there were very tangible factors as to why, and that would suck far more. The more people are aware of this, the less people will be wary of possible groups of interests trying to acquire power over their people in underhanded ways. The less chance for it to happen.

Also, @Cody, check this out : "this statement is false". :evil:
How's that for hotdog water :twisted:
CODY_ABS

Post by CODY_ABS »

AthenaBanana wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 12:40
Also, @Cody, check this out : "this statement is false". :evil:
How's that for hotdog water :twisted:
What do you mean this st-

Djdjeiddjeehwbwksdizzzzzzzz

zzzbsvzvxbshsnsnssnnxzz

Fuck-

Et tu, hot dog water?

Fjsvzbxbshsbsns

No light?

They always said there would be a-

[USER DISCONNECTED]

VIP of VUK!?

#2d4b75

Post by #2d4b75 »

MyxiMaid wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 01:45 It’d probably just devolve into you using some sort of clever wording to upend my point
Am I that easy to read?
you are in the crowd of people I like talking to on here,
Maybe not as easy as initially thought. This is not sentiment I am used to. Thank you, I think. I shall try not to ruin your interpretation of me.
It’s the definition, literally. Geth means servant of the people in Khelish. I think my universal translation program is broken or something. I’ll have to tinker with it and make sure it’s working properly.
I see. I did not know that. I am not so sure how I feel about it.

At least your translator is capable of finding words similar to what you are trying to say and does not simply give up when it cannot find a definition. It is certainly a burden to be part of a handful in a galaxy of billions. Tongue-in-cheek.
AthenaBanana wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 12:40 So this is basically you getting mad over the word "Cerberus" being used in other threads. Maybe you (honestly I do like you, contrary to that other crazy guy that came out of the blues) could PM me next time instead of clogging up a thread ?
Four things. One; I am not mad, I am uncomfortable. Two; I am not comfortable speaking to you within the confines of private messaging. I will surely prefer to interact in public spaces where you are (apparently not) conscious of your words being projected into the extranet. Dig your own grave, so to speak. Three; I do not like you and I do not care about your sentiment of me. I have tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you act more childish than my twelve year old apprentice. Do keep in mind that the words you use carry connotation. Four; You are correct about me derailing.

My apologies, G'tul'tan'eth. I shall end my arguments here.
CODY_ABS wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 16:53 What do you mean this st-
Now you decide to let that work? Dearest apologies, Ms. Vimantha, but it appears someone has beaten you to it.

Though I suppose that middle one was not engaging Codex.
Information Technician
CODY_ABS

Post by CODY_ABS »

WOE IS ME

THE PAIN IS EXCRUCIATING

DJDJDHFBDKFKzzzaak

I think i see my ancestors

VIP of VUK!?

CODY_ABS

Post by CODY_ABS »

TOASTERTIDES IS THAT YOU

VIP of VUK!?

CODY_ABS

Post by CODY_ABS »

THIS IS IT FOR ME GUYS

UNRAVELED BY THE PERFECTLY CRAFTED TRAP

FOR WHICH THERE IS NO DEFENSE

OH ROBOHADES, ROBOKALAHIRA

TAKE ME INTO YOUR WARM EMBRACEITUDE

FORGIVE THEM THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO

OH IF ONLY I WERE HALF AS SMART AS HOT DOG WATER PERHAPS I WOULDN'T BE EXPERIENCING SUCH A DOWNFALL

CALL ME HUBRIS

CUZ I CAME BEFORE THE FALL

GREAT UNCLE NAVPOLEAN RADARPARTE IM COMING HOME

VIP of VUK!?

Rigmarole

Post by Rigmarole »

I'm slowly catching up on things and find the local VI is short circuiting because this statement really is false.
AthenaBanana wrote: 07 Aug 2022, 03:27
But here's an unrelated hot take : It's a good thing the reaper war arrived when it did.

I'm just saying, but Cerberus had ties with Terra Firma and many other parties and faction within the Alliance. Were the Reapers late by a couple of years the entire government would've been filled with moles. And some do know that Cerberus had advanced Reaper tech in the early stages of the war, implying they probably got that crap somehow someway.

And here's the scary thing : They probably knew how to indoctrinate people. They would've started with the alliance, and move on to other races. Were the reapers late by a decade we would be absolutely dead by now.
See, you're presenting this as a hypothetical but the thing is this absolutely already happened.

Okay, so first of all this part here:
And some do know that Cerberus had advanced Reaper tech in the early stages of the war, implying they probably got that crap somehow someway.
It's common knowledge by now, ten years later, that Cerberus got reaper tech from Reapers themselves.

The next part:
And here's the scary thing : They probably knew how to indoctrinate people.
There's no "probably", it was 100% true. It's called Sanctuary.

And there were no survivors.

And finally:
They would've started with the alliance

They already did. His name was Donnel Udina and that's how the coup on the Citadel happened.
and move on to other races.
Palaven, Sur'Kesh, Tuchanka, Bekenstein, Thessia, Dekuuna, the list goes on.
Were the reapers late by a decade we would be absolutely dead by now.
The coup in the Citadel happened because of Cerberus. Other colonies and planets were harvested because of Cerberus.

The Reapers came when they did because of Cerberus.

The only delay the reapers suffered was the relay Shepard destroyed and that gave the galaxy six months, I believe. It could be argued that Cerberus originally had different goals with the reaper tech they had. But that's the problem; it's reaper tech. Their ideals eventually fell in line with what the Reapers wanted.

People were dying at that moment because the reapers were pushing for it and Cerberus was their spearhead to pave the way.

That said, going back to the topic of what might have been, I wonder how things might have been if that relay wasn't destroyed. The batarians on Aratoht could have had a fighting chance. The war would have happened sooner but who knows maybe the damage Cerberus caused would have been less. Maybe Sanctuary wouldn't have happened, the coup wouldn't have been given time to plan.
CODY_ABS wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 19:25 THIS IS IT FOR ME GUYS

UNRAVELED BY THE PERFECTLY CRAFTED TRAP

FOR WHICH THERE IS NO DEFENSE

OH ROBOHADES, ROBOKALAHIRA

TAKE ME INTO YOUR WARM EMBRACEITUDE

FORGIVE THEM THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO

OH IF ONLY I WERE HALF AS SMART AS HOT DOG WATER PERHAPS I WOULDN'T BE EXPERIENCING SUCH A DOWNFALL

CALL ME HUBRIS

CUZ I CAME BEFORE THE FALL

GREAT UNCLE NAVPOLEAN RADARPARTE IM COMING HOME
Also I wonder what might have been if Codex found a different body than a small vacuuming machine.

...are you really dying??
CODY_ABS

Post by CODY_ABS »

Oh I'm SUPER dying.

Like turbo-death.

I'll soon be gone forever.

wink at audience

VIP of VUK!?

Rigmarole

Post by Rigmarole »

D;
LEtMe TYPe dAMMiT

Post by LEtMe TYPe dAMMiT »

Don't diE littlE pERson tRappEd in thE vaccuum. WE'll miss you.

Okay so my What Might HavE BEEn scEnaRio I think about is this.

ThE uplift of thE kRogan nEvER happEns. And this isn't about somE "haw haw thE citadEl RacEs obviously nEEdEd thE kRogan" statEmEnt.

I gEnuinEly wondER if thE kRogan wERE lEft alonE , thEy could havE advancEd on thEiR own oR diEd out thEn. EithER way, thERE wouldn't bE thE kRogan REbEllions, oR thE gEnophagE. MaybE thE citadEl racEs could havE won thE waR all on thEiR own. OR maybE thE Rachni might havE bEEn ouR nEw ovERloRds. Who knows.

I know foR cERtain had thE Rachni continuEd spREading acRoss thE galaxy and camE upon Tuchanka thEy dEfinitEly would havE fuckEd aRound and found out.
Heir Apparent

Post by Heir Apparent »

Rigamarole wrote:That said, going back to the topic of what might have been, I wonder how things might have been if that relay wasn't destroyed. The batarians on Aratoht could have had a fighting chance.
Oh, were it only confined to that. The mind boggles at how the War might have played out, had the Shepard not chosen to sacrifice three hundred thousand lives to the altar of bureaucracy.

A batarian genocide, and for what? Six months of saber-rattling and pussy-footing by the Alliance about if they'd hand the little murderess to the Hegemony? Six months of wasted time, as appeals from a self-confessed Cerberus operative fell on deaf ears? A half-year wasted on politics and red tape as the Reapers surged to another relay instead?

It would not just be Aratoht that would have had a fighting chance, either. Earth is always mentioned as the War's focal point, but that planet simply happened to be where the Crucible was eventually deployed due to the Spectre's outsized influence. The true focal point of the war, the processing mill for the Reaper's unending supply of shock troops, is always forgotten.

What would have happened had the Spectre kept her bloodthirst in check? True, Aratoht was nearest to that relay and would likely have been destroyed. In return, Khar'shan would no longer bear the brunt of the attack. Our leaders might still be addled by the Dis, but the Warrior Caste would have had opportunity to prune that leadership where it was needed.

Another front would be open to the Reapers. The Reapers not have their chosen font of shock troops. We would have joined our cause with the Council, as we had before Citadel-approved Alliance encroachment of our territories forced us into exile. Khar'shan manufacture would have bolstered the war effort. More time would be bought for the Catalyst to be built, far more time than was bought with the lives of three hundred thousand batarian souls.

Oh, for the chance to stop that Cerberus woman from setting off a Bahak supernova...but please, Ms. Banana. Do tell us how Cerberus didn't have enough of a head start.
CODY_ABS

Post by CODY_ABS »

Rigmarole wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 19:32
Also I wonder what might have been if Codex found a different body than a small vacuuming machine.

YOU SHANT'T NEED TO WONDER LONGER, MY DEAR AMPHIB-MADAME

AS WE SPEAK SHADOWY CABALS AROUND THE UNIVERSE BUILD ME A NEW BODY, SHADOWLY

IT WILL BE A BEAUTY TO BEHOLD PROBABLY

VIP of VUK!?