Advice on a situation please

Tell us a little bit about yourself!
MyxiMaid

Advice on a situation please

Post by MyxiMaid »

Before I begin, please please please do not let this devolve into another endless progressive v. conservative argument. I have heard enough. While its kind of related, it's not why I'm here. Not all quarians dream of Rannoch and want to be hand in hand with geth and not all fleeties are pirates that want war and to be evil luddites. This is about a more personal problem that I need some input in. I've been lurking around and reading and there seems to be a lot of my people on here, despite the cerberus connection. I was hoping to hear some opinions on things. Others are welcome to join in too, I need options. And I don't expect anyone from my fleet having any knowledge of me asking around here, so it's a safe place to release some details on things.

My ship didn't want to stay at Rannoch after things began cooling down so we became part of an exploratory fleet with some tenuous ties to the homeworld factions. Cordial and open with the Admiralty board but we aren't getting into suits with geth, and we've been sort of pushed off to go keep looking around for possible expansion colonies. Out of sight, out of mind. You can then safely assume our little fleet is traditional in some sense (once again, I know that the tradition isn't the ACTUAL tradition) This hasn't so far been the problem butttt now due to situations both imposed by war and some created by yours truly, I've never gone on a pilgrimage and I'm nearly 20. SO the commander, my father, has deemed it past due for a girl my age and if you know the finer points of quarian linguistics, he was wording it in a remarkably rude way. I've already argued and appealed both publicly and privately, got nothing out of that except a hard departure date. Now, I've got 41 days left to leave before I get placed in a torpedo duct and shot off into space.

So how do I handle this? What is the best way to make this a quick trip in and out and is there an option anyone can give me that has a guaranteed return to my fleet date? I've got a marketable skillset with minimal capital and I'm willing to work hard to make this whole life event less so.

Annnd I guess I should intro myself here too, I'm Yrne, please help.
Yrne'Hokkuh nar Myxine - Making big booms since 2187
CONTACT ME HERE
Eril Seiah

Re: Advice on a situation please

Post by Eril Seiah »

Hey Yrne, welcome to the boards. We don't bite. And Cerberus is looooooong dead, so don't worry too much about them.

Anyway, first off is politics; You won't get any funny looks for still being a spacer, so you shouldn't have any issues there.

Now, pilgrimage! If you've got any more details to spare that would help. You know what's spurred you being tossed through the airlock and all. Regardless, given the whole point of pilgrimage is to travel and get some life experience out of a ship, best I can suggest is a travel list of where you want to go for a bit. I would honestly suggest Rannoch as a destination; You won't go hungry or without shelter here even if you're pretty much broke, and it'll give you a perspective on how another side lives. And hell, best place to pick up something useful to bring back to your home ship as well.

But I can't say that there'd be any particular fixed date of return no matter where you go.
Dani

Post by Dani »

i used 2 think the same but then i got off the fleet and experianced the joy of no rules and no nagging captain and no crowded ship and i started 2 love it some of it sucked the citadel wouldnt let me get through custuoms and omega was rough at the start but after a few months i never wanted 2 go back 2 the fleet and i didnt and then i didnt go back to rannoch so maybe u'll like being free too u never know

if u want 2 survive u should start by taking things that dont belong 2 u if u need to because your well being is more important than someone elses and if they cant keep their credit chit secure thats their fualt!
((avatar by the wonder Armax_Hammer))
AthenaBanana

Post by AthenaBanana »

welcome to the boards. :D

From what I know about quarians, you don't really *need* to bring in the latest tech there is. it's really just a ritual, at least back in the days. Your father probably won't admit it because he doesn't want you to be the lousy heir though, but you coule get away with giving some crappy scraps.
Here's a tip though : go to the human fringe colonies. they usually have some old hydroponics systems from when they were living off of whatever supplies they brought in. Hydroponic units will probably be a welcome addition to your fleets.
They're usually on the fritz due to how old they are but should you be able to fix 'em with some spare parts. In the meantime, you can definitely work on construction as an electrician. I know, some of em still have old Terra Firma posters and you'll probably be seen as the odd fellow, but the folks there value grit and gumption above all else. ;)

@Dani : seriously though :lol:
MyxiMaid

Post by MyxiMaid »

Eril Seiah wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 21:53 Hey Yrne, welcome to the boards. We don't bite. And Cerberus is looooooong dead, so don't worry too much about them.
Thank you, lack of biting and cerberus is forever appreciated. I'll probably lurk around here more then, I was really worried I was exposing myself and my ship to trouble. I was ready to delete the profile and burn my omni.

Eril Seiah wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 21:53 Now, pilgrimage! If you've got any more details to spare that would help. You know what's spurred you being tossed through the airlock and all.
The details are really pretty simple. I'm on a traditionalist ship and I'm getting pretty old for not having gone on a pilgrimage and it looks bad. I'm actually getting irritated writing this out because it's really not fair. There are loads of people my age that haven't gone on one due to the war and recovering Rannoch. It's a stupid tradition and I'm positive I'd be better serving my people just staying put and working extra hard. We aren't hurting for exotic materials and as far as I can tell I'm not in sudden danger of inbreeding, it's purely out of social pressure and possibly the Commander wanting me to set an example, but that's really neither here nor there as I can't prove it.
Eril Seiah wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 21:53 Regardless, given the whole point of pilgrimage is to travel and get some life experience out of a ship, best I can suggest is a travel list of where you want to go for a bit. I would honestly suggest Rannoch as a destination.
I don't feel comfortable around geth, I'd like to avoid them as much as possible.

But a travel list is a good idea, sort of a pro and con sheet. I can work with that, despite not really wanting to see anything. Vids exist, I can get the same enjoyment a tourist gets from behind a console. I'll have to get some conditions scripted out and run it through a guide, maybe I'll get something of a sweet spot developed. Wherever I go, It'd have to be safe, dextro and immune friendly, quarian outpost (no geth) or very low population, maybe someplace with historical value, vistas are irrelevant and hopefully not too torn up by war. I know a lot of turian space was very pretty with a naval/military bent to things but they were hit hard and I don't just want to go see rubble. This all reads so picky...
Eril Seiah wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 21:53 But I can't say that there'd be any particular fixed date of return no matter where you go.
That's a big make or break, if I could make this a day trip I'd just do that regardless of where it went
Dani wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 15:29 i used 2 think the same but then i got off the fleet and experianced the joy of no rules and no nagging captain and no crowded ship and i started 2 love it some of it sucked the citadel wouldnt let me get through custuoms
But I like rules and being crowded? I've gotten called weird before by other ships in the fleet but I get such terrible nausea in natural gravity, I can't even sleep without being wrapped up. Does the citadel not let quarians in anymore? I thought they had pilgrim rules that allowed us in? Also, my captain is my dad and despite the nagging on things, I love him. Most of the upper ranks are my relatives here, it's not that bad taking orders. I like the discipline it generates.
Dani wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 15:29 omega was rough at the start but after a few months i never wanted 2 go back 2 the fleet and i didnt and then i didnt go back to rannoch so maybe u'll like being free too u never know
Anything in the entire Terminus region is right out, not going to get stabbed by some sand head over my suit.
Dani wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 15:29 if u want 2 survive u should start by taking things that dont belong 2 u if u need to because your well being is more important than someone elses and if they cant keep their credit chit secure thats their fualt!
That suggestion I can certainly rally behind! AT least in the sense if they don't need it and aren't using it. Tool sharing and supply is important.

AthenaBanana wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 16:42 welcome to the boards. :D

From what I know about quarians, you don't really *need* to bring in the latest tech there is. it's really just a ritual, at least back in the days. Your father probably won't admit it because he doesn't want you to be the lousy heir though, but you coule get away with giving some crappy scraps.
Oh I'm sure he doesn't want that, he's very into 'optics' as he puts it. That's actually really helpful, I didn't consider that. I don't want to bring back just junk though, there's probably a happy medium somewhere.
AthenaBanana wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 16:42
Here's a tip though : go to the human fringe colonies. they usually have some old hydroponics systems from when they were living off of whatever supplies they brought in. Hydroponic units will probably be a welcome addition to your fleets.
They're usually on the fritz due to how old they are but should you be able to fix 'em with some spare parts. In the meantime, you can definitely work on construction as an electrician. I know, some of em still have old Terra Firma posters and you'll probably be seen as the odd fellow, but the folks there value grit and gumption above all else. ;)
That's another excellent idea, provided they have supplies and clean living spaces. Humans always seem to have their stealth systems on for me, I never consider them.
CONTACT ME HERE
Dani

Post by Dani »

But I like rules and being crowded? I've gotten called weird before by other ships in the fleet but I get such terrible nausea in natural gravity, I can't even sleep without being wrapped up. Does the citadel not let quarians in anymore? I thought they had pilgrim rules that allowed us in? Also, my captain is my dad and despite the nagging on things, I love him. Most of the upper ranks are my relatives here, it's not that bad taking orders. I like the discipline it generates.
having a captain as a dad sounds like one of the worst things ever not as bad as one of the admirals but thats fucking awful sorry 2 hear that hope u see the light and enjoy freedmom. discipline sucks. i dont know what the citadel does because i have an arrest warrant there and cant go back because if i do theyll arrest me and probably fine me fuck that. u dont have 2 go to a planet u can find a space station 2 stay on if u cant handle planets
MyxiMaid

Post by MyxiMaid »

Dani wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 00:12 u dont have 2 go to a planet u can find a space station 2 stay on if u cant handle planets
That might actually solve this issue, I wouldn't even have to go planetside. I can just dock, find something good, and get back to the Myxine. Thank you thank you thank you. I'll have to go ahead and add stations into my search, thank you so much Dani.
CONTACT ME HERE
Dani

Post by Dani »

MyxiMaid wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 05:03
Dani wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 00:12 u dont have 2 go to a planet u can find a space station 2 stay on if u cant handle planets
That might actually solve this issue, I wouldn't even have to go planetside. I can just dock, find something good, and get back to the Myxine. Thank you thank you thank you. I'll have to go ahead and add stations into my search, thank you so much Dani.
ur welcome <3 <3 <3 just avoid the citadel its racist try something small because they always need workers and most quarians have the skills they want like fixing pipes or stuff i dont know i dont do that shit
Heir Apparent

Post by Heir Apparent »

MyxiMaid wrote: Anything in the entire Terminus region is right out, not going to get stabbed by some sand head over my suit.
A shame, given that Terminus Space has been de facto identified by the Citadels as "anywhere Citadel Space does not rule." Refusing to enter the Terminus deprives a child such as yourself a vast swath of the galaxy to explore. It cuts you off from a wealth of cultural enrichment that your people could benefit from, culture free from the yoke of "sensible government" that did everything in its power to deny you and yours a new home.

The belief you'll be "stabbed by some sand head over your suit" is folly and propaganda spread by Citadel space in a manner meant to make it seem like the only civil option in the galaxy. It denies the existence of colony- worlds littering the galaxy everywhere it is not, with social, political, and economic systems thriving in spite of its lack of "benevolent" oversight. It would rather paint any Terminus world as a second-class land not fit for existence, never mind the fact that several human, asari, turian, and salarian worlds actively refuse to participate with their draconian rule.

Your very homeworld is tarred with that brush. The politics regarding the Servants of your People aside, would you agree with that terminology? I imagine most would. And most will still consider you second-class.

The lessons of Ekuna are less than a century old, after all, less than a tenth of the average asari lifespan, and they should be seared in the mind of any Migrant who might consider the Citadel a friend to all. Lest it be lost in some of your own people's generations, remember that the Citadel, under the "benevolent" guide of its blue-hued overlords, saw fit to ignore your people's petitions to a world of their own over a matter of red tape and procedural nonsense. They then demanded that your people vacate the planet on pain of orbital bombardment. They considered their statues and procedures as more important than the lives of over a hundred thousand people, all over an unused garden planet - and then handed over the remains, including what remained of the labors your people put into making such a planet livable, into the hands of their favored pets.

Do not pretend that Citadel Space has some moral fiber that those living outside it lack. All they have is a marginally better paint job.
Eril Seiah

Post by Eril Seiah »

What the guy above me said; I did my pilgrimage in T-Space (Admittedly after hearing about how C-space treated others) and honestly it was pretty good. It's rough out there admittedly but it's also easier to earn some respect out there too. Besides, sandheads exist in C-space as well and often the ones in C-space are worse.

Regardless, if you're looking for quarian outposts... well, as far as I know all the ones we have are military observation posts; Rannoch's the only place we've really got a population at and that's probably the one with the least dense population if you take the "Little Rannochs" into account. Geth are kinda an inescapable fact of life for us now; though they do their own thing for the most part, so there's areas that don't have a significant geth presence. And not all of us here on Rannoch have geth in the suits; Some of us (Like myself) can't have one due to legal restrictions, others due to personal beliefs or such.

That being said, you mentioning your home ship being traditionalists... I feel like you might have another problem if they're adhering to tradition: They're expecting you to join another ship.
AthenaBanana

Post by AthenaBanana »

Heir Apparent wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 22:10
MyxiMaid wrote: Anything in the entire Terminus region is right out, not going to get stabbed by some sand head over my suit.
A shame, given that Terminus Space has been de facto identified by the Citadels as "anywhere Citadel Space does not rule." Refusing to enter the Terminus deprives a child such as yourself a vast swath of the galaxy to explore. It cuts you off from a wealth of cultural enrichment that your people could benefit from, culture free from the yoke of "sensible government" that did everything in its power to deny you and yours a new home.

The belief you'll be "stabbed by some sand head over your suit" is folly and propaganda spread by Citadel space in a manner meant to make it seem like the only civil option in the galaxy. It denies the existence of colony- worlds littering the galaxy everywhere it is not, with social, political, and economic systems thriving in spite of its lack of "benevolent" oversight. It would rather paint any Terminus world as a second-class land not fit for existence, never mind the fact that several human, asari, turian, and salarian worlds actively refuse to participate with their draconian rule.

Your very homeworld is tarred with that brush. The politics regarding the Servants of your People aside, would you agree with that terminology? I imagine most would. And most will still consider you second-class.

The lessons of Ekuna are less than a century old, after all, less than a tenth of the average asari lifespan, and they should be seared in the mind of any Migrant who might consider the Citadel a friend to all. Lest it be lost in some of your own people's generations, remember that the Citadel, under the "benevolent" guide of its blue-hued overlords, saw fit to ignore your people's petitions to a world of their own over a matter of red tape and procedural nonsense. They then demanded that your people vacate the planet on pain of orbital bombardment. They considered their statues and procedures as more important than the lives of over a hundred thousand people, all over an unused garden planet - and then handed over the remains, including what remained of the labors your people put into making such a planet livable, into the hands of their favored pets.

Do not pretend that Citadel Space has some moral fiber that those living outside it lack. All they have is a marginally better paint job.
I can't believe i'm defending the Council of all things. :roll:

C-Space may be full of hypocrites, but the system makes it so that their hypocrisy is weaponized against each other due to their complex system of checks and balances. If someone screws up, you can always complain to the higher department and make enough noise that something may actually happen; and the simple threat of it happening deters a lot of asshats from a lot of shitty behaviors. This may be the case in the more civilized Terminus planets such as Illium, but even those have even shadier practices that are actually considered legit (indentured servitude anyone ?) and I would say that a basic level of street smarts is required to go anywhere near those places, that you and I take for granted.

Also, the Council of back then is completely different to what it is today, for several reasons: while it might be a tenth of an asari's lifespan, a century is also more than several generations of the majority of council species. A new race entered the council (which was very much pro-frontier, to your former government's dismay), and a galactic war was fought in which the quarian had a substantial role.

If the OP was as resourceful as Dani is, i'd say yeah, go to T-space. But less racism only means that they'll be less picky when it comes to {Mod Edit: Unnecessary specifics are not required}, whereas racism in the citadel is basically about a few landlords refusing to rent to a quarian or like that other thread about extra checks when going to some leisure facilities. Since the OP seems to be a homebody, being on the citadel may be, at the very least, a good start to learn things like working abroad, paying your bills, finding dextro foods.

I say that having lived in both council and terminus space. And absolutely hating the former with every fiber of my being, but you give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar.
Heir Apparent

Post by Heir Apparent »

AthenaBanana wrote:C-Space may be full of hypocrites, but the system makes it so that their hypocrisy is weaponized against each other due to their complex system of checks and balances.
Adorable.
AthenaBanana wrote:If someone screws up, you can always complain to the higher department and make enough noise that something may actually happen; and the simple threat of it happening deters a lot of asshats from a lot of shitty behaviors.
Even more so.

It took a galactic war for some of these much-vaunted "somethings" to actually happen, and even then only with extreme chagrin and the professed desire by those holding power to return things to how they were.
AthenaBanana wrote:This may be the case in the more civilized Terminus planets such as Illium, but even those have even shadier practices that are actually considered legit (indentured servitude anyone ?) and I would say that a basic level of street smarts is required to go anywhere near those places, that you and I take for granted.
Colony bombardment threats were made to the original poster's species over paperwork and red tape.

Indentured servitude is not only tolerated but encouraged in the prime Council species' "crown jewel," itself located within Council space. Do not speak to me of border proximity and technicalities; if the Citadel's prime species actually cared about niceties like Chattel Slavery by Another Name, they have every tool available to correct the issue.

Biological genocide was not only committed in a Citadel civil war, but it was perpetuated with no recourse save an overriding galactic war in which the injured species' participation was required for Council (i.e. not Galactic) survival. A cute portmanteau describing the murder of billions has been a part of the Citadel lexicon for over a millennium.

An entire division of the Council is devoted to extrajudicial murder, violence, and extortion, often extraterritorial, on the justification of "we say so but don't want to say it too loudly." We are lucky that its most prominent officer in the past twenty years was a spearhead of galactic resistance. One shudders to imagine what would happen had she instead spent her time caving to the obvious potential corruption that enables, like so many of them do.

Speak not to me of "street smarts" when it comes to Citadel safety. Sometimes simply choosing the wrong planet, or simply being an undesired species, may carry a death sentence.
AthenaBanana wrote:If the OP was as resourceful as Dani is, i'd say yeah, go to T-space. But less racism only means that they'll be less picky when it comes to [CONTENT EXCISED BY MODERATOR EDIT], whereas racism in the citadel is basically about a few landlords refusing to rent to a quarian or like that other thread about extra checks when going to some leisure facilities.
I understand that the moderation staff takes a dim view of discussing this particular topic, and do not wish to risk a suspension or ban. As such, I will limit my commentary to this: you will not want others to examine either of these arguments, lest you learn several unpleasant truths about your "new Council species."

Cute of you to bring it up as an emotional trump card, however.
MyxiMaid

Post by MyxiMaid »

There goes my attempt at responding to everyone in turn.

I should apologize and clarify first, I have a bad habit of sort of generalizing my statements. By Terminus avoidance, I really meant the active piracy locations and the area around the de facto capital of the region. When all the news you get is of one place in an entire swathe of space, it starts to become all you think of the area. Thank you though for reminding me of that fact, I guess the propaganda might be working so I'll ahead and adjust the filter a bit to account for areas of t space that don't carry the classification as Omega. I had no idea C space carried as much risk. But really though, it may not matter. I'm not out to see the sights or visit, I want this to be quick and safe. I've actually begun considering maybe just negotiating some sort of pickup deal where I can go somewhere, pay for something to bring back and bypass the having to search for it part. That process would probably end up being much more difficult in citadel space, I'll keep the Terminus as an option. Secondly, I swear I'm not normally this unstable in my decisions, I'm just getting anxious. Thirdly, I'm not a child. I'm simply delayed in undertaking an outdated cultural ritual. I'm nearly twenty, I get how things work and I'm an adult by all standards of the galaxy except for getting this pilgrimage finished. After this ordeal is said and done, I'll have to offer up the mess of a search routine this is turning into.
Eril Seiah wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 02:11
That being said, you mentioning your home ship being traditionalists... I feel like you might have another problem if they're adhering to tradition: They're expecting you to join another ship.
I'm well aware! I've got several of our ships in mind in our little fleet. There's nothing wrong with maintaining a good relationship with your birthship. We maintain a tight formation and there is a good deal of communication back and forth between our ships, if you consider that it is an exploratory fleet, if anything goes wrong we've only got each other to lean on.

If the OP was as resourceful as Dani is, i'd say yeah, go to T-space. But less racism only means that they'll be less picky when it comes to {Mod Edit: Unnecessary specifics are not required}, whereas racism in the citadel is basically about a few landlords refusing to rent to a quarian or like that other thread about extra checks when going to some leisure facilities. Since the OP seems to be a homebody, being on the citadel may be, at the very least, a good start to learn things like working abroad, paying your bills, finding dextro foods.
AthenaBanana wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 16:29 If the OP was as resourceful as Dani is, i'd say yeah, go to T-space. But less racism only means that they'll be less picky when it comes to {Mod Edit: Unnecessary specifics are not required}, whereas racism in the citadel is basically about a few landlords refusing to rent to a quarian or like that other thread about extra checks when going to some leisure facilities. Since the OP seems to be a homebody, being on the citadel may be, at the very least, a good start to learn things like working abroad, paying your bills, finding dextro foods.
If I'm stuck long enough away from my fleet to require renting and paying bills, something has seriously gone hull up.
CONTACT ME HERE
AthenaBanana

Post by AthenaBanana »

OOC : Sorry about that. Won't happen again !

Pfffffff. I'll just chalk it up to you being a former politician from the Hegemony. Probably one of those who was actively hating on humans, looking at your tone here. If your only response to the very fact that C-Space has more recourse than T-space is "adorable", I don't need to argue one bit with you.

As for you, Myxi, sorry that you had to see that, but i'm not saying you're a child. I'm saying -and you're basically admitting it yourself, that you don't know much about this galaxy and how it works. While C-space has its problems, it's absolutely better than T-Space. And to be quite honest, discrimination isn't only C-Space specific, so yeah.
As for rent, if you don't have your own ship with its habitat and all... Well, unless you're very lucky, I've met a lot of quarians who spent the better part of a year accomplishing it, if not more. Getting actually useful spare parts for a ship sometimes means working, getting paid... and paying rent.

Anyway, good luck on your Pilgrimage, and make sure you read every contract to the letter before you sign em :mrgreen:
Heir Apparent

Post by Heir Apparent »

MyxiMaid wrote:There goes my attempt at responding to everyone in turn.
There are times you will find some responses unworthy of response, whether due to offense, banality, or time constraints. This is normal and healthy behavior and should be supported, so long as a conversation may still be had.
MyxiMaid wrote:By Terminus avoidance, I really meant the active piracy locations and the area around the de facto capital of the region. When all the news you get is of one place in an entire swathe of space, it starts to become all you think of the area. Thank you though for reminding me of that fact, I guess the propaganda might be working so I'll ahead and adjust the filter a bit to account for areas of t space that don't carry the classification as Omega.
I appreciate your understanding of nuance, Ms. nar Myxine, as well as your ability to modify your assumptions when reminded of them. I am of course not the best example of Terminus stability, given my relative location and the degree of piratical activity I am forced to endure on a regular basis; however, I would suggest that not all of Citadel Space should necessarily tarred with the same brush as, say, Kallini. Mine is a situation borne of circumstance, opportunism, and specism. It should be considered an outlier of activity, not the rule.
MyxiMaid wrote:But really though, it may not matter. I'm not out to see the sights or visit, I want this to be quick and safe. I've actually begun considering maybe just negotiating some sort of pickup deal where I can go somewhere, pay for something to bring back and bypass the having to search for it part. That process would probably end up being much more difficult in citadel space, I'll keep the Terminus as an option.
As you say: if convenience is a priority, Citadel Space should be an option of last resort, not first. There are plenty of Terminus worlds that would greatly appreciate your commerce and/or expertise, even those populated by the same species as our fruit-flavored stereotype here. I can personally guarantee that nine times out of ten, the paperwork will be far less of a hassle. Also, given the Citadel's preoccupation with bureaucracy, any vessel you use will be far less likely to eat a missile for accidental breach of contract.
MyxiMaid wrote:Secondly, I swear I'm not normally this unstable in my decisions, I'm just getting anxious. Thirdly, I'm not a child. I'm simply delayed in undertaking an outdated cultural ritual. I'm nearly twenty, I get how things work and I'm an adult by all standards of the galaxy except for getting this pilgrimage finished.
If my comments betray any form of condescension for a perceived lack of maturity, I humbly apologize. They are not intended to be anything of the sort, merely an suggestion of advice to someone who may have taken in more propaganda regarding the Cult of Shepard than they may have realized. The Terminus (or, as I prefer, "The Vast Majority of Space, Unconcerned with Citadel Imperialism") is regularly maligned, and it does not do to see a fellow Terminus person being taken in by such cons.
AthenaBanana wrote: Pfffffff. I'll just chalk it up to you being a former politician from the Hegemony. Probably one of those who was actively hating on humans, looking at your tone here. If your only response to the very fact that C-Space has more recourse than T-space is "adorable", I don't need to argue one bit with you.
With regards to maturity-based condescension here, well, let's see:

Tone policing, check.

Every batarian is a politician, check.

Every batarian just happens to despise homo sapiens as a matter of course, check.

Please continue. I need at least two more spots to complete my Typical Human Bingo Chart. Here, let me prod you into finishing my card for me: "My contempt for that statement is entirely due to my Khar'shanian roots and nothing to do with your blithely naive response."

Go on, dear.

We're waiting.
AthenaBanana

Post by AthenaBanana »

not every batarian, your name is litterally "heir apparent" and you said you were a big deal on your presentation thing. It's an undeniable fact that the Khar'shan government was litterally crapping all over us humans to give your despotic government more legitimacy, a stategy you yet still seem to use here. I have nothing against your average batarian trying to make a living just like the rest of us.. I would never allow myself to fall in stupid stereotypes like this. Also, not so much your tone than you basically dismissing the basis of every society when it comes to accountability.

That'll be my last post on this thread and i won't be reading any more posts on it. Toodles :D
Heir Apparent

Post by Heir Apparent »

AthenaBanana wrote:not every batarian, your name is litterally "heir apparent" and you said you were a big deal on your presentation thing.
Do try again. You might have been excused had you merely mentioned my account name. However, now you have admitted both to reading my introduction and failing basic reading comprehension.
I, myself wrote:I have chosen the name Heir Apparent because (1) it amuses me, and (2) because once upon a time it may have been accurate. I will allow you to make the appropriate associations; perhaps, one day, I may even confirm or deny them.
You made a political assumption from a note of ironic self-effacement, and now insist I did it for you.

Lazy strawman rhetoric, check.

Ironic statement about not falling into stereotypes, check.

Please, Ms. Banana, break your promise to read any more posts just to get the last word in. I got two "G's" instead of a "G" and an "O," and my check-making finger is itching.
#2d4b75

Post by #2d4b75 »

Welcome Ms. Yrne. I apologize for being so late to greet you; I have had much on my mind as of late. I did want to chime in, though I hope you can forgive my blatant ignorance on quarian culture and their fleet. Most of what I know can equate to hearsay having come from a variety of conflicting sources. That said, I personally have found it helpful to hear perspective that is hardly anything close to my own. Removes the echo chamber, hm?

To be completely and ruthlessly blunt: You seem soft.

There is nothing wrong with being soft, let me be clear, but I suspect this may be part of the reason your father wishes for you to go on your pilgrimage. Having a father of such high rank does put a lot of expectation on your shoulders (that you did not ask for) and unfortunately because you are far behind in tradition on a ship that highly values such, the public will transfer that to your father, regardless of the link between you. It is important to remember you are your own person, though I do not think you have much issue in that regard, judging by your remarks on the unfairness of this all. It certainly is not fair, but there is little in life that is. The sooner you accept that compromise leaves both parties unsatisfied, the sooner you will be able to negotiate.

You are also very young, Ms. Yrne. No, you are not a child, but you speak with cadence that certainly shows off your inexperience. Again, there is nothing wrong with that. You are only 20. But I can recognize that my view of maturity is very skewed and not to be reflected upon a species other than my own. I almost envy your aptitude to not have to grow up quite as fast as I had.
AthenaBanana wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 19:10 . . .make sure you read every contract to the letter before you sign em :mrgreen:
This is the smartest thing I have seen you say across this forum thus far. From my own indentured experience, when you read a contract in its entirety, you will figure out its loopholes. There is always at least one.

Ignoring the above arguments, I do agree that you should not discount T-Space from your searches. That said, do not discount C-Space either. There is no reason to create a 'last resort.' An entire galaxy is out there to explore with unique experiences no matter where you go. Travelling may seem scary at first, but I have never regretted the time I had spent away from Kahje. I spent a few years riding a wave of independent jobs that took me to places I would have otherwise never been. There are many memories I cherish from this time, looking past the grim reality of the work.

If I am not mistaken, the point of a pilgrimage is to return to your ship with something of value. Value does not have to equate to something psychical. If your father is not much of a hardass and is merely doing this for the sake of status, it may be enough for you to simply leave the ship and experience the galaxy outside of your fleet. It circles back to that of an echo chamber. When you see the galaxy from a new perspective, you can bring that perspective back to your ship and offer insight that someone may not otherwise have.

If you never leave your comfort zone you will never know how you will react in times of uncertainty or quite frankly anything outside of your 'norm.' There are many people I have seen who go through the same routine day after day. One disruption of this routine could completely unravel their way of life in an instant. It is very important to know how far from your comfort zone you are able to traverse at your own pace rather than being suddenly forced to do so with a level of intensity far above anything you have ever seen before. We have all seen the effects of the War.

tl;dr: Learn your limits. Try to push past them. A large part of growing up is figuring out how much varrenshit you should deal with before you begin choosing which hills to die on.
Kodiak Cobalt | Asset 2475
Information Technician
Now for hire.
MyxiMaid

Post by MyxiMaid »

#2d4b75 wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 19:56 Welcome Ms. Yrne. I apologize for being so late to greet you; I have had much on my mind as of late. I did want to chime in, though I hope you can forgive my blatant ignorance on quarian culture and their fleet. Most of what I know can equate to hearsay having come from a variety of conflicting sources. That said, I personally have found it helpful to hear perspective that is hardly anything close to my own. Removes the echo chamber, hm?
No need to apologize at all, we each move at our own pace and type up messages to send to beings on the other side of the galaxy when available to do so. But I'm still glad you did, removing the echo chamber and getting some advice was the entire reason I signed up. So thank you for the warm welcome, it's been helpful being here so far.
#2d4b75 wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 19:56
To be completely and ruthlessly blunt: You seem soft.

There is nothing wrong with being soft, let me be clear, but I suspect this may be part of the reason your father wishes for you to go on your pilgrimage. Having a father of such high rank does put a lot of expectation on your shoulders (that you did not ask for) and unfortunately because you are far behind in tradition on a ship that highly values such, the public will transfer that to your father, regardless of the link between you. It is important to remember you are your own person, though I do not think you have much issue in that regard, judging by your remarks on the unfairness of this all. It certainly is not fair, but there is little in life that is. The sooner you accept that compromise leaves both parties unsatisfied, the sooner you will be able to negotiate.

I'll be the first to admit I have shortcomings in certain aspects outside of my zone of comfort but I've been and this might sound like bragging but I've been incredible at what I do. Maybe I am soft because I don't like the concept of leaving my home and my life in pursuit of something I don't need. I've gotten this far with little issue, I'm certain I can keep it going. I do agree with you on the realization of the unfairness of it all and I've resigned myself to getting this ordeal done and over with. Little more than a galactic standard month to go now. woo hoo
#2d4b75 wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 19:56 You are also very young, Ms. Yrne. No, you are not a child, but you speak with cadence that certainly shows off your inexperience. Again, there is nothing wrong with that. You are only 20. But I can recognize that my view of maturity is very skewed and not to be reflected upon a species other than my own. I almost envy your aptitude to not have to grow up quite as fast as I had.
What exactly is wrong with my cadence! Not angry or insulted, I just find that funny. I've heard it before but nobody has explained why they think that.

But in my defense and with just a slight bit of indignancy, I'm not inexperienced. Most of those that dwell planet-side learn in classrooms, yes? My ship was the classroom only if you make a big enough mistake you don't get a poor report, you get sucked into space. Now spend twenty years learning every nook and cranny of that ship and tack on ten of those years being half submerged in oils and crammed into subdecks trying to keep our cannons from imploding. Now imagine that all that while running silent and knowing if you ping the wrong network or over torqued the wrong bolt, you've doomed you and all your family.

I'm not soft, I'm specialized.
There are many memories I cherish from this time, looking past the grim reality of the work.
How do those memories stack up against the ones you try to forget?
If I am not mistaken, the point of a pilgrimage is to return to your ship with something of value. Value does not have to equate to something psychical. If your father is not much of a hardass and is merely doing this for the sake of status, it may be enough for you to simply leave the ship and experience the galaxy outside of your fleet. It circles back to that of an echo chamber. When you see the galaxy from a new perspective, you can bring that perspective back to your ship and offer insight that someone may not otherwise have.

If you never leave your comfort zone you will never know how you will react in times of uncertainty or quite frankly anything outside of your 'norm.' There are many people I have seen who go through the same routine day after day. One disruption of this routine could completely unravel their way of life in an instant. It is very important to know how far from your comfort zone you are able to traverse at your own pace rather than being suddenly forced to do so with a level of intensity far above anything you have ever seen before. We have all seen the effects of the War.

tl;dr: Learn your limits. Try to push past them. A large part of growing up is figuring out how much varrenshit you should deal with before you begin choosing which hills to die on.
You've given me another idea on a way to get through this all. I will say that. I also cannot argue against your point in how disruptive this all is. I guess it's just more shocking that the unraveling of my life has come from within rather than some external force. Annnd at the very least I know what hill I won't be dying on so far, thank you for the advice. I'll be sure to think on it.
CONTACT ME HERE
#2d4b75

Post by #2d4b75 »

MyxiMaid wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 05:58 What exactly is wrong with my cadence! Not angry or insulted, I just find that funny. I've heard it before but nobody has explained why they think that.
Nothing is wrong with your cadence. It has just become increasingly more obvious when my apprentice speaks to me that I am no longer as young as I once was and I am not yet 30. I should not expect proper formality on these forums as is often not the case, but, ah. Translating bioluminescence into words is not easy and I am trying to do it through two filters. Hm. The hanar have a particularly interesting way of putting it.

There can be hard lessons in life and it can sometimes be quite obvious when they have yet to be learnt. It is nothing you are necessarily saying to make me think that. Call it an inkling.
I'm not soft, I'm specialized.
Indeed I made a comment recently about being a one-trick pony. Maybe you would have more luck than myself, but there is a point to be made there. I had once believed my own specialization was enough to get me by, but that unfortunately is not always the case.
How do those memories stack up against the ones you try to forget?
There is no point in trying to forget something when even the smallest rustle of a nearby leaf will find you elsewhere in your head. I do not try to forget. In fact, I find it infuriating to have the memory gap that I do. To forget something almost feels like the loss of a part of one's Soul. It is debatable on whether or not I am still considered Whole. I suppose I can ask Kalahira upon my death, but knowing then would change nothing.

Ahem. To answer the question I think you are trying to ask; It was worth every moment. I admit I do not like the planet of Kahje very much. Its beaches are beautiful, but after my first trip off-world I took any excuse I had to travel. Any. I would do it again, if given the chance, but I am afraid my hands are tied.

In exchange for a few bullets I had been able to see the stars. Real, actual, not a vid but an endless sky full of stars. I dearly miss the sight. I had even got to breathe outdoor unrecycled air without feeling like I had drank a gallon of saltwater. I am grateful for the few trips I have been able to take as of recently, even though Styia left a nasty bruise on my ego.
I guess it's just more shocking that the unraveling of my life has come from within rather than some external force.
And now you have given me something to think about. I suspect this will come to mind when I least expect it.

May you find what it is you must look for. Good luck with your pilgrimage, Ms. Yrne. Do not hesitate to reach out.
Kodiak Cobalt | Asset 2475
Information Technician
Now for hire.
MyxiMaid

Post by MyxiMaid »

#2d4b75 wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 18:32
May you find what it is you must look for. Good luck with your pilgrimage, Ms. Yrne. Do not hesitate to reach out.
I had taken some time to reply to this but most honestly, from the bottom of my heart thank you. That is the nicest thing anyone outside the fleet anyone has said to me. I will do my best not to impose if possible but if I need to reach out I will, thank you again.
CONTACT ME HERE