Other video games you're playing?

The year is 2021, and the planet is Earth.
Fog of War

Other video games you're playing?

Post by Fog of War »

Hey everyone, I know this kind of stuff usually gets talked about on the Discord rather than the Virtual Lounge, but I know there are a few people here who don't use it, and I personally prefer discussing things on the forums because Discord is hard to do long-running discussions on. But I was thinking we could have a spot for us to talk about other (non-Mass Effect) games we're playing at the moment, how we feel about them, recommend them to each other, et cetera. Though please try to keep spoilers to a minimum, even if it's something that's already widely known. While 99% of us knows who kills who in Final Fantasy VII, for example, I don't want to ruin any surprises for the few people who aren't aware of widely-known shocking plot twists.

For myself, I've been playing a few FPS games at the recommendation of several people on the discord. Despite this forum being a roleplay of a shooter franchise, I haven't actually played many non-ME shooters until recently, but I played through Halo: Combat Evolved last year, then moved on to Doom (2016) and now Doom Eternal. I'm currently in-between the fourth and fifth level. I'm really enjoying this game, but I only play it when I'm sure I have time to complete a whole level in one sitting, which can be kind of slow.

These aren't the only games I'm playing, of course. I usually play through around five games at a time, usually including a Space Sim, an RPG, a Strategy game, a non-RPG action game (right now, Doom Eternal), and one other miscellaneous game that can be in any genre (including one of the previous four).

Right now, the space sim I'm playing is Starpoint Gemini Warlords, which I've recently started playing and haven't gotten very far in yet. I'm not sure how I feel about the game so far, but the graphics are very pretty.

The strategy game I'm playing right now is Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War, a real-time strategy game by Relic Entertainment, the same company that made Homeworld, Company of Heroes, Age of Empires IV, and Impossible Creatures, all other real-time-strategy games. I'm currently making my way through the Winter Assault expansion's campaign, with only the last two Eldar missions to go before I move on to Dark Crusade.

I've also been playing Assassins Creed: Origins. I'm a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed games, and I'm getting close to the end of this one. After this, there's only Odyssey, Valhalla, and some of the handheld AC games to play. I really like the large, open world in this entry, but I'm ambivalent about the leveling system, and I quite dislike the new weapon/inventory system. (Diablo-style leveled junk gear is one of my least-favorite mechanics. The game is good enough that I'm willing to overlook this aspect, however.)

The RPG I'm playing right now is Pokemon Red, one of the original Pokemon games. I have never played one of the Gen 1 games before, but I've played the gen 3 remakes multiple times in the past, so a lot of stuff is familiar. In this case, I am playing an emulated version with a romhack that fixes many bugs in the original game and adds in several QOL adjustments without impacting the balance of the original game. In this run, I'm doing a monotype challenge run where I can only use Pokemon that are part flying-type or evolve into Pokemon that are part flying-type. This is my second monotype run in a Pokemon game (my first being Mono-Fire in X), and I really enjoy playing this way, so I'm probably going to do almost exclusively monotype runs from now on.

Right now, in Pokemon Red, I'm just about to enter Rock Tunnel, and my team is:

Charmeleon: Level 25
Gyarados: Level 23
Butterfree: Level 23
Pidgeotto: Level 23
Fearow: Level 23
Zubat: Level 11

I'm planning to change out the Zubat for a Dratini once I get to Celadon, and then switch out the Pidgeotto and Fearow for Articuno and Zapdos if I catch them. I'm not planning on training Moltres in this game because it had a very poor movepool in Gen 1, and it comes very late in the game so I won't have much time to train it before the Elite 4. Other than that, the other half of my team is finalized.

Like many games where I can play as a blank-slate character that I can name, I created an OC for this game. His name is Gale, and he originally grew up in Cinnabar Island, as the child of scientists who worked on cloning Mewtwo. When the Pokemon Mansion caught fire, he was trapped on the roof of the building, and the local Gym Leader used a Charizard to fly up and rescue him. Ever since then, Gale dedicated himself to training flying-type Pokemon and becoming the best Bird Keeper in Kanto. (I know this is a little cheesy, but it's a kids game and I try and match my OCs to the tone of the original franchise.)
NPC and OOC account

Character list: Pterion (Nara), Grenak, Akkam_Bloodpack, Wayfarer (Kel)
Rhapsody in Taupe

Re: Other video games you're playing?

Post by Rhapsody in Taupe »

This'll probably ruin any credibility I have, but I'm a huge fan of the platform fighter genre (or, as some call them, Smash Clones). In particular, my games are Rivals of Aether and Project+. Rivals is a game that I like to refer to as "Melee Lite". It's got a lot of core similarities to Melee, but with pared down mechanics (no shields, grabs, knockdown, or ledges) and a lot of the tech is a lot easier to perform. I'm also part of its Steam Workshop community, where I've made a few mods and am working on what will hopefully be my biggest one yet right now.

Project+ is the best fan game Nintendo doesn't want you to know about. It's a fan continuation of Project M (to the point where they're often used interchangeably), a mod of Brawl that brings in a lot of Melee mechanics and rebalances the cast. It's got one of the most dedicated communities I've ever seen. For example: This past weekend there was a big Smash tournament that I went to (not going to mention the name to keep liability off them) and the P+ community ran a secret major under Ninty's nose. 50 people, most of whom were officially only spectators, hid in plain sight and when Ultimate was done for the day and the Nintendo reps left (around 10PM) we flooded the venue with Wiis and CRTs and held our tournament until 3 in the morning, then disappeared like we were never there.

As far as other games I've been playing, my roommate and I have been playing a decent amount of Hunt: Showdown, which is pretty neat. I'm not the best shot with precision weapons and my eyesight and colorblindness makes it really hard to see other players before they see me, but it's still a pretty cool game. I really dig the setting and art design. The icons for the perks in particular are awesome!

With the new season coming out, I'll probably be playing some Apex Legends for a little while, though I usually end up falling back off pretty quick. I used to play it a ton, but ever since I took a break from it a while back I've found no desire to get back on the battlepass grind and ranked doesn't really appeal to me.

My friends and I play (and stream) Sea of Thieves just about every week, which is always good fun! Definitely not a game for everyone, but there's something about the sum of its parts that I find enjoyable, especially with a regular crew.

I really need to get back into playing Elden Ring. I stopped because I was having performance issues, but I heard that patches have done a lot to fix that. Though I also have a problem where I'm so averse to risk (even small risk) that any time I see a boss I just turn around and go somewhere else! :lol: Really need to pull up my big boy pants and attempt some fights so I can progress.
((OoC: Avatar by Dagger_for_hire))
Sentient Solutions

Post by Sentient Solutions »

I'm still pretty deep into Final Fantasy XIV, trying to sharpen up my tank skills and hopefully do some Extreme trials soon. Endwalker pretty famously hammered the servers so hard they had to end the free trial system that got me back into it initially so I haven't really been able to recommend it. But my understanding is they've added some new servers and the free trial has been back in play since late February, so by all means check it out, and feel free to hit me up if you happen to be on a Crystal datacenter.

Elden Ring is the poison of the day of course. I've been having a fun time trying to recreate characters from past Pathfinder games and trying to emulate how they work in the game itself and its been amusingly hit-or-miss so far (the agile backflipping Tengu with a curved blade and no shield has been the most entertaining thus far!)

Besides that, I'm revisiting Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, mostly because of the news that Square Enix has decided to sell its license, and the studio that made it in order to launch some doomed NFT venture, but also because I really liked it. Lets plays and the like don't really do it justice since its great use of licensed music is severely impaired by 'streamer safe' mode. It's a really stylish game that justifies their direction to not explicitly use the MCU likenesses. Its soundtrack, licensed and otherwise, rocks.

And most recently, I have been getting into emulation - I've kept my old PS2 library since I moved here and I've wanted to show my friends some of those classic games that, for one reason or another, are otherwise completely unavailable.
Last edited by Sentient Solutions on 10 May 2022, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
================================
Sentient Solutions by Grisank Vimanthia
A subsidiary of Ankasta Resources, Nos Astra
"Consider Indentured Servitude!"

================================
HaLlExLovER316KillU

Post by HaLlExLovER316KillU »

I've been hyperfixated on Vampire the Masquerade as everyone knows so I've been playing VtM: Bloodlines for the hundredth time while playing Coteries of New York and Shadows of New York on the side. It's been fun. Coteries and Shadows are visual novels which is a genre I haven't played many games in but I'm really enjoying how the music and art sets the mood for the story.
Plurplexure

Post by Plurplexure »

Lately I've been dropping a lot of time into Planetside 2 and finding something new in it. It's an MMOFPS, and one of the few running right now, somehow coming up on a 10 year anniversary. Battlefield's conquest mode is probably the closest comparison, though that's not entirely accurate. It did used to be a grindy mess way back, but has since really improved.

Some Payday 2 here and there as well (If anyone has recommendations for stealth games, I'm all ears.) which I'd best describe as "Cartoonishly silly bank robbery". Absolutely a great co-op game, but with the third entry in the series announced, new content has been slow. Still, what is there is quite an extensive list. Not to mention the soundtrack is absolutely amazing.

I can't post this without mentioning Deep Rock Galactic, which imo is just one of the best games on steam right now. It's a Minecraft and Left 4 Dead, with a bit more of the latter, with some sci-fi weaponry. Not as fun to do solo compared to Payday 2, but the co-op is far far more engaging.

Been trying to get more into Stellaris, but having a rough time of setting up good multiplayer games. I do however regularly make up Empires/Species in it that I never play, and it somehow still feels worth getting the DLC for it! :lol:

Also been meaning to finally play Disco Elysium.
((Icon by Crystallized0Rose, a good friend))
Fog of War

Post by Fog of War »

Sentient Solutions wrote: 06 May 2022, 16:03And most recently, I have been getting into emulation - I've kept my old PS2 library since I moved here and I've wanted to show my friends some of those classic games that, for one reason or another, are otherwise completely unavailable.
Do you have any suggestions? I've also started getting into emulation, and my family never had any Playstation consoles so I kind of missed out on that whole side of things. I know it has a lot of JRPGs and I've been a lifelong fan of the genre, but other than that I'm not very sure what's on there. (Western Washington has always been very Xbox/Nintendo-dominated, so none of my friends really played any Playstation games either.)
NPC and OOC account

Delicious Chew Toy

Post by Delicious Chew Toy »

Please take care in considering the legality of how this question is answered.

I have very strong personal opinions on the ethics of software piracy, particularly given the current state of the video games industry. However, for liability reasons this site is not and cannot become a distribution site for that kind of data.

The process through which emulation may be achieved can tread dangerously close to that territory. As such, any attempts to use this site as a means for distributing tools for piracy will be treated severely and immediately.

Thank you.
Aphin's Place - Level 31, Zakera Ward. Best Drinks on the Citadel.
((Avatar made by Armax who is awesome.))
Fog of War

Post by Fog of War »

Understood, and at no point was I planning to use this website for such purposes. I will make efforts to obtain legal copies of games if possible. Even in cases where it is not, I do not plan to request, distribute, or discuss anything piracy-adjacent on CDN itself or any related community. No asking for pirated files or tools, no speaking of any site where I know such content is available, even if I do not use it for those purposes, et cetera.
NPC and OOC account

republic_dad

Post by republic_dad »

Rhapsody in Taupe wrote: 05 May 2022, 23:23 This'll probably ruin any credibility I have, but I'm a huge fan of the platform fighter genre
What's discreditable about platform fighters?
Rhapsody in Taupe wrote: 05 May 2022, 23:23 As far as other games I've been playing, my roommate and I have been playing a decent amount of Hunt: Showdown, which is pretty neat. I'm not the best shot with precision weapons and my eyesight and colorblindness makes it really hard to see other players before they see me, but it's still a pretty cool game. I really dig the setting and art design. The icons for the perks in particular are awesome!

My friends and I play (and stream) Sea of Thieves just about every week, which is always good fun! Definitely not a game for everyone, but there's something about the sum of its parts that I find enjoyable, especially with a regular crew.
I'm racking up more time weekly in Hunt: Showdown with my group of friends these days. The big open map and long free-form multiplayer-against players-against environment mix appeals to me and I wish more developers would make an attempt at it. Sea of Thieves I've played less hours lately since getting a decent group together gets more challenging with its obligatory several hours length per session and nothing sours the experience like getting that several hours' worth of haul lost in a curb stomp battle.
Plurplexure wrote: 10 May 2022, 07:44 I can't post this without mentioning Deep Rock Galactic, which imo is just one of the best games on steam right now. It's a Minecraft and Left 4 Dead, with a bit more of the latter, with some sci-fi weaponry. Not as fun to do solo compared to Payday 2, but the co-op is far far more engaging.
Deep Rock Galactic is on the level a good game, its visual design and how manual everything feels to operate is a big plus for me. But I can't arse to play it, for some reason it feels such a chore to raise a party for it too.
Plurplexure wrote: 10 May 2022, 07:44 Also been meaning to finally play Disco Elysium.
You should!

Now, my own highlights!

Wildermyth! Very, very narrative heavy adventure tactics game. Comes with five big campaigns and it can generate them on its own too. Make your heroes, set them loose to banter, fall in love, hate, sacrifice and transform. Watch them raise kids, see them grow into adventurers in their own right and for the elders to retire in their twilight years. Lends very easily to getting invested in the characters as they can turn up in later adventures too, as supporting characters or playable ones.

Beyond the Chiron Gate is essentially an expanded, bigger and better version of the developer's previous title Seedship. Explore brave new worlds, brave threats to the crew and try to succeed before the deadline crashes on your project's head.
We are destined to usurp and in turn we shall be overturned.

convenientV

Post by convenientV »

I'm surprised no one has said Dragon Age yet, but making up backstory specifics is a lot of fun for all of them, but Origins especially. Like they give you some information in the opening for each origin, but enough is left blank for you to make decisions on things in terms of specifics.
Delicious Chew Toy

Post by Delicious Chew Toy »

You know what I'm playing at the moment? Golden Sun. That is, I just beat the original game and have set a save state to transfer that obscenely long Gold Password to transfer my characters' stats over to The Lost Age.

Want to play a classic GBA title that has all the staples of a good JRPG? Want to sneak in pokemon-style collection, great music, and goofy character mood sprites that do more with a little squish'n stretch than some current-gen AAA do to convey mood? Want to hear characters repeat admittedly generic plot points at least four times, both in actual dialogue and reflected in the surface thoughts you can read using totally not-magic Psynergy?

DO YOU WANT TO BATTLE A STORM LIZARD???

Then find a copy of this game and play it. It was one of my favorite games during late-middle and early high school, and it holds up pretty damn well.

(Just don't play Dark Dawn. That does not exist and no number of bad and fake screenshots will convince me otherwise.)
Aphin's Place - Level 31, Zakera Ward. Best Drinks on the Citadel.
((Avatar made by Armax who is awesome.))
CODY_ABS

Post by CODY_ABS »

I am an absolutely massive nerd so I've been playing a lot of WWE2k22. But when I'm not beating the tar out of Damien Priest for the North American Championship or running shows as a gm, i have really fallen for a game called

Citizen Sleeper

The stories I've come across so far have been really interesting and the combination of managing your body's condition, energy, the dice you roll to complete tasks with for day, and certain time limited tasks really give me a sense of urgency. Even stress, but in a good story motivated way that make me have to really think about my actions and what choices to make, sometimes down to what order i do them in.

I haven't gotten all the way through it yet but I'd wager there's a decent amount of replayability in the number of ways you can accomplish your various goals of surviving.

CW for a number of uncomfortable social situations with both real and implied violence, as you are essentially a fugitive on a station full of thugs, gangs and bounty hunters in addition to all of the regular people just trying to get by.
EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH FOR 47 YEARS RUNNING, Aphin's Place - Level 31, Zakera Ward. Best Pyjak Made Drinks on the Citadel

All view expressed are personal, but shared explicitly by the owner

VIP of VUK!?

Creator of the MATE CRATE
Fog of War

Post by Fog of War »

Delicious Chew Toy wrote: 15 May 2022, 07:28 You know what I'm playing at the moment? Golden Sun. That is, I just beat the original game and have set a save state to transfer that obscenely long Gold Password to transfer my characters' stats over to The Lost Age.

Want to play a classic GBA title that has all the staples of a good JRPG? Want to sneak in pokemon-style collection, great music, and goofy character mood sprites that do more with a little squish'n stretch than some current-gen AAA do to convey mood? Want to hear characters repeat admittedly generic plot points at least four times, both in actual dialogue and reflected in the surface thoughts you can read using totally not-magic Psynergy?

DO YOU WANT TO BATTLE A STORM LIZARD???

Then find a copy of this game and play it. It was one of my favorite games during late-middle and early high school, and it holds up pretty damn well.
I do actually have a cartridge of the first game around here, so at your suggestion I fired up my GBA this afternoon and started a playthrough. (Not planning to really dive in until I beat Pokémon Red, but that’ll probably happen tomorrow. I’m already in Victory Road.)

The game is very cool so far, but unfortunately I had the big plot twist spoiled by Dark Dawn, which teenage me had the brilliant idea to play before playing the other two games.

That being said, I’m enjoying it a lot even despite knowing how the story ends. The path they are taking to get there is very well written and I look forward to continuing.

I look forward to tracking down a copy of The Lost Age, which thankfully hasn’t had its price jacked up by scalpers, (though it hasn’t gotten cheaper either).
Delicious Chew Toy wrote: 15 May 2022, 07:28(Just don't play Dark Dawn. That does not exist and no number of bad and fake screenshots will convince me otherwise.)
I... uh... too late?
NPC and OOC account